Sunday 4 September 2011

Teacher's Day

This blog is dedicated to all my students for their love and affection.

Tweeter           @ManoharPandit
Facebook        Prof.Pandit
Linkedin           Dr.ManoharPandit

It was just a chance that after I delivered my speech as the chief guest for a pharmacy week function at a local college, I was requested to tutor the management students. I was never a teacher in my life and wasn’t sure to accept the offer. Back home my wife was excited at the offer and the director of the institute was very persistent. I gave a serious thought and finally gave my consent for various reasons; one of them was the inspiration that I derived from my father’s action.

It was way back in year 2000. That evening after giving my consent I rushed to nearest book store, we just had one in Vashi in those days. Went through couple of books and wondered is this what I would like to read and teach? The crumpled copy of the university syllabus that I had said ‘yes’ but my heart said ‘no’. I thought I would rather share my experiences of over three decades of corporate world with the students rather than teaching theory from the books. I returned home empty handed but with lots of thoughts in my mind. That evening I sat down with a notebook and pen, and started writing my experiences that would explain management theory to the students. I had a dial up connection for internet that made me struggle to get some latest information from the net at a miserably slow speed. Over next two or three days I was ready with my first lecture. I went to the only stationary shop in Nerul bought few acetate sheets and marker pens to make my first OHP slides. I don’t think I had ever made such slides in the past, my secretarial team and co-workers managed this for me. Where to start and how to start was a question. Few sheets got wasted, yet I kept trying till I was satisfied. Finally the day of first lecture arrived, I was standing in front of nearly fifty students of MMS third semester. OHP, black board and, few chalks were in place. It was a different experience. The audience or participants were so different than what I used to have in the corporate world. I started carefully keeping a watchful eye on the audience. I could notice a flicker of interest in the eyes of the students and that was what I was looking forward to. I kept on going, at time using the chalk to explain on the board. I enjoyed the first session. During the break few students gathered around and we had some chat. This enforced my observation that the students are interested in my lecture. And if that is so then it is my responsibility to meet their expectations. I was in a different world when I drove back home.

I started enjoying my sessions. It was fun and very interesting. The interaction with young aspiring students kept me charged. The semester ended after twelve sessions. After the last lecture we had a photo session, some students made me write some message for them on their note books and I returned home with heavy heart and bouquet of roses.

In due course of time the next semester started, then the next year and then another year and then another institute and it goes on. OHP is a history, LCDs came in, ppt was the order of the day was replaced by pptx. PCs were replaced by laptops, that got replaced by netbooks and now tablets. I was enjoying. I got more and more involved. I had a different sense of satisfaction each day when I retired for the day. All these years I learnt that to be a good teacher, I need to be a good learner. I was learning each day and that made me a good teacher (if I can say so). Today with over 10,000 students from different institutes, over a decade, I have a great sense of accomplishment, the one that I was looking forward to, knowingly or unknowingly, over the years.

I still remember all my teachers, all those who taught me. Being a good learner I learnt even when the person I was interacting was not my teacher. One such incidence gave me inspiration and that made me a teacher. It’s old story that is still fresh in my mind. One day I was to travel to Pune as a young executive, when my father desired that he would like to accompany me. He was old and a trip to Pune was not as comfortable as it is today. He told me that he was keen to meet someone by name Mr. Watchmaker. I took him to Pune. We searched for Mr. Watchmakers’s place and reached there without giving any intimation (telephone was a luxury in those days). It was a typical Parsi home and someone answered the bell. We announced the purpose of our visit. The person led us to a spacious well-kept drawing hall. In one corner an old frail figure was sitting in a wheel chair that was Mr. Watchmker. He was over ninety at that time. I looked at my father who was over seventy five, his eyes sparkled. He sprinted towards Mr. Watchmaker took his hand fondly in his own, shook gently and bent down to touch his feet. Mr. Watchmaker stared at my father and before he would ask any questions my father said, B M Pandit, Sir, your BA final year student in 1918 at Robertson College. For a moment Mr. Watchmaker looked blank, soon his eyes glittered, became moist. He held my father’s hands as firmly as he could. I too bent down to pay respects to teacher of my first teacher, that’s my father.  The reunion took place after over fifty five years. My father always cherished the teachings that he had from his teacher. That incidence gave me an inspiration to be a teacher sometime in life and that is what I am today. I may not reach that height but let me try.

God bless you and best luck. Do well in life.


14 comments:

  1. Awesome post sir, very touching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sir indeed its a really inspirational incident. Sir it has been an honour and privilege to be a student of someone of your stature. It is really modest of you to say "If I can say so", as every student of yours will stand testimony to the fact that you always have come up with something exciting and thoughtful and kept our mind jolting that "Wow! I never thought this way". Sir I just wish that you keep showering your experiences so as to enlighten us with what even Kotler will fail to do...

    Happy Teachers Day Sir...

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great writing sir. It has always been a great time ,spent during your lectures, cause they were never like normal academic lectures.We have always felt your lectures than just attending them. the sense of responsibility.. the sense of adding something to our self not just as a student but also as an individual.

    I wish u a very Happy Teachers day. :-D.
    wish you could teach my children too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's very nice text sir from u!!!
    I wish u happy teachers day >>>)))
    thank u!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Teacher's Day Sir.....I still remember the day when you said that Teacher's day is your favorite festival. The passion for teaching is visible in the efforts you take for your students.....You are truly a wonderful teacher and we consider you as our inspiration. Thank you for sharing this article with us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sir, U r at so high position in our heart and in mind but still U don't have any ego, that's what I like. U r one of the best teacher from whom I gathered lot of knowledge...Just keep upgrading the new generation in the same way... Students need to have knowledge of corporate experiences from sum1 like u...Sir, plz add experience of politics in corporate...it will guide inexperienced students like us....Thank u sir...Have nice & Enjoying time....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am honoured to think that the institute where you started teaching, which now has clearly blossomed into a passion, was ours. You have enthralled us with your abundance of knowledge and kept me even more captivated when i spoke to you between lectures. The books you suggested we should read, the array of up-to-date examples you use when you state a point, the way you encourage students to bring out ideas and start off by agreeing with them... All these make you a teacher above many others in India. I just wish more and more students get the privilege of studying from you, or someone as good... Thank you sir...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice post indeed; and a very touching one! I can relate to it being in the teaching profession for almost 20 years. I still feel overwhelmed whenever I go to meet my teachers. Once I had the opportunity of working as a co examiner for M.Sc examinations along with my teacher Dr. Pandya; his comment made my day-quote"this is the proudest moment of my lfe; my own student is working along with me as a co examiner"-unquote.
    It is really very gratifying when you bump into old students and they introduce me to their spouses and children as a teacher who was instrumental in making them study!!
    I am still learning as Dr. Pandit has said, and my teachers are my very own students who have taught me to think out of the box, besides helping me in becoming technologically savvy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Two Things you said in one of your classes are still very fresh in my memory because it was said from the very depth of your heart. “You said I will always respect every person irrespective of his class and position in the society because of the fact he is human. The other thing you said I always respect people who are elder than me for the fact that I cannot compete with him on his age. These things I will be following till my last breadth.”
    It came as a little surprise for me .In a management college like we are in, every time our discussion revolves around how to out think and strangle our competitors? We are always taught how to build a successful business where probably extracting profit is the final thing? How ruthless we have to be in the market? So hearing the basic things related to moral values of life from you in the management college was quite a different experience .No one probably before said these things or if even said probably they were being said for the sake of saying it without any feeling attached to it. These two sentences really touched me. Even after achieving so much in your personal life, I always admired you from the very first lecture for your amazing humility and down to earth behaviour. The way you tap at the back of your students during your lectures says everything about the affection and care that you have for your each students. We are indeed blessed to have you as our friend, mentor, teacher and role model all enrolled in one figure. We look forward to gain and enlightened from the book of your invaluable experiences.

    ReplyDelete